This review focuses onSleepScore App, a non-contact sleep tracking tool designed to improve your sleep.
Perhaps you are here because you are struggling to get ample sleep and would like to see if this app can be the solution. Well, you are in the right place as this review will not only show you how the app works but also its effectiveness.
What is SleepScore App?
SleepScore App is a non-contact app that tracks your sleep pattern using Sonar Sensor Technology. The reliability of the technology used in this app is unquestionable, considering that it has been involved in the tracking of over six million sleep nights. Also, it is backed up by ResMed.
SleepScore appis designed to establish the quality and quantity of your sleep and guide you on what to do to achieve a healthy sleep level/pattern. Once you attain your sleep goals, the app will continue to help you, but this time round, in maintaining the sleep quality over the long term.
This intuitive app contains interactive sleep tracking tools that are pretty easy to use. For instance, if you want to see your sleep history, there's a relevant tool for that, allowing you to relate your day's activities with your sleep patterns. This helps you to figure out the things to do or avoid to improve your sleep quality and quantity.
How does SleepScore App Work?
The functionality of the SleepScore App is similar to the echolocation tactic used by the bats while hunting during the night. When bats produce sounds, the resulting sound waves are reflected back to the animals upon hitting the objects in the vicinity.
Since SleepScore App can't send or receive sound waves on its own, it uses your phone's speakers and microphone to track your movements and sounds while asleep.
SleepScore App, through Sonar Technology, sends silent signals using the speakers of your phone. Then, the phone's microphone receives the reflected waves of the silent signals.
The Sonar Technology used by the app has an advanced algorithm designed to establish how the reflected waves move as well as their shape. The waves' shape and movement interpretation show your breathing rate and how you move during different sleep cycle stages.
Eventually, the app is able to assess the overall quality and quantity of your sleep consistently. One of the remarkable things about this sleep tracker is that you don't need anything else apart from a compatible phone. Besides, it's a non-wearable sleep tracker and works nearly on any Android device
If you want to know more about how sleep monitors or sleep tracking apps work, then check out this full guide.
How does SleepScore App calculate your sleep score?
SleepScore App uses different parameters to establish the quality and quantity of your nocturnal rest. Your SleepScore is rated on a scale ranging from 0 to 100. The app derives your daily SleepScore from your nighttime logged sleep data on various levels by finding its aggregate.
To establish your SleepScore, SleepScore App uses a variety of parameters concerning your sleep. The parameters include:
- The total amount of time you spend sleeping
- The amount of time you spend in bed before you fall asleep
- How long you stay in the light sleep stage
- How long you stay in deep sleep stage
- Your REM (Rapid-Eye-Movement) sleep duration
- The number of times you wake up in a night
Upon collecting your nightly sleep data, the app, factoring the scientifically-established ideal sleep averages corresponding to your age and gender, applies the SleepScore algorithm, to determine your score. The average SleepScore is usually around 78.
So, if yours is below 78, you need to do something to bring it at least to the average. Fortunately, with consistent use of the app and acting on the personalized sleep solutions, insights, and recommendations it offers, you should be able to hit and maintain beyond-average SleepScore.
SleepScore App Features
SleepScore is compatible with any Android or IOS device. However, the accessibility of its features might vary from one device to another.
The SleepScore features that are available for all Android features include:
- Sleep graphs: Each morning, you'll wake up with sleep graphs on your smartphone. The graphs give you a visual impression of your sleep patterns to help you understand your sleep consistency and/or fluctuations and possibly identify the factors behind the changes.
- Good night motivating quotes: after a long day full of hustles and bustles of life, you need something to help you relax and face tomorrow with positivity.
- Good morning inspirational messages: The messages are an excellent way of starting your day as they inspire you to press on and achieve your goals.
- A smart alarm clock: Just set the smart alarm clock to your preferred wake-up time window and it'll trace the light-sleep stage within the period and wake you up gently
- Pillow Talk Polls: The polls give you helpful insights about what other app users have reported to sleep-related lifestyle questions.
In addition to the above features, if you use Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, S8, S8+, S9, S9+, Note 8, Note 9 or Google Pixel 2 XL, you'll be able to access the following additional features:
- Daily SleepScore: Upon evaluating your sleep pattern and applying the relevant metrics, the app provides your SleepScore within a scale of 0 to 100. The score helps you to establish how well you sleep.
- Your movement and breathing rate data during the four stages of your sleep: This helps you to see the stages where you are or not doing well. Additionally, the app recommends various simple ways you can use to improve your sleep in each of the four cycles.
- A full sleep report: In case you want to see your doctor concerning a sleep issue, you can use the personalized sleep report to give the health expert a clear picture of how you sleep.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can SleepScore App track two people sleeping at the same bed?
- Can I use the app if I use CPAP?
- Is the app automatic, or I must start the tracking process manually?
- Can I use my smartphone to do other things while the app is tracking my sleep?
- How safe is sonar sleep technology for human use?
No, the app can only track the sleep of just one of the bed partners at a particular time. It can't monitor two people who are in the same room at the same time. When two people are sleeping together, the app will only track the one who's closer to the phone.
TheSleepScore Appwill work pretty well even when you are using Continuous positive airway pressure machine.
The app requires you to start or stop your sleep tracking process manually to ensure that the readings it gives are fully accurate.
Yes, you can use your smartphone, but if possible, do so without moving the phone too much. If the phone is moved, the app will automatically pause until when the phone will stop being in motion.
Yes, it is very safe. This is because the technology uses sound waves with frequencies that have been scientifically proven to be safe for human exposure.
What do Users Think about the App? Are There any Common Complaints?
The majority of SleepScore App are satisfied with the value that the app offers them. However, some of them have a problem with the default volume level set for the app's alarm. They feel that it's too loud for them, yet when they reduce the volume on their phones, the app moves it back up to the default level.
How much does the app cost?
SleepScore app is free to download from Google or App Store and use. However, you'll be required to pay a monthly subscription fee of $5.99 or $49.99 yearly subscription fee to access its advanced features such as:
- Comprehensive sleep data,
- Detailed sleep improvement advice
- Printable doctor's report
Comparing SleepScore App with SleepScore Max
Both the SleepScore App and the SleepScore Max use the algorithm developed by ResMed.
Similarly to SleepScore App, SleepScore Max can't tack the sleep data of multiple people sharing the same room.
However, unlike SleepScore App, which is designed for smartphone usage, SleepScore Max uses specialized hardware which you place on your bedside table for sleep tracking and measurement.
Another difference between the two sleep trackers is their respective technologies. As SleepScore Max uses safe radio waves with very low power, SleepScore App uses patented sonar technology where your phone's speakers transmit signals, and the microphone receives the reflected sound waves.
SleepScore App is a suitable choice when you want to track the sleep data of a single person in a room. However, just like SleepScore Max, you can't use the app to track the data of two people sleeping in the same bed or room.
So, if you want to monitor the sleep patterns of two people sharing the same room or bed, I'd advise you to explore other sleep monitoring apps or wearable or non-contact sleep trackers, depending on your needs/preferences.
If you just want to monitor one person at a time, I would recommend this app because its advanced sleep improvement system is backed up by ResMed. Besides, its accuracy is validated with several scientific studies.